About Me

My photo
I write and live with my beautiful wife, Sandra, and sons (Solstice, Finnegan and Brahms) in a little-big house on a dirt road in a valley in the hills. My secret identity struggles through the grind of teaching high school English to the denizens of Vermont's Northeast Kingdom.

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Review of The Reach by Nate Kenyon



Nate Kenyon is a relatively new horror writer. This is my first book of his I have read (his second novel). There is much to be admired about this writer's style, and there was nothing about the writing that seemed overwritten or awkward, but the plot, the characters and the suspense all seemed pretty tired.

Ten years after the strange birth of a girl and the subsequent burning of the hospital, Jess Chambers, a psychology grad student, is asked to visit with the ten year old Sarah, who is being kept in the basement of a ward for disturbed youth. As Jess gets closer to Sarah she also gets closer to a conspiracy and Sarah's own deadly powers.


First off, I will say that I wanted to finish the novel, which is more than I can say for a lot of writing I have read. This, however, did not seem like a horror novel, so much as a science-fiction, medical mystery. The characters weren't very memorable, nor was the action. I predicted the outcome of this way in advance. I don't think that's a good sign when you walk away feeling more psychic than the main characters. In any case, I would be interested in reading something else by Mr. Kenyon, and I can see how some people would enjoy this novel, it has intrigue, psychic powers and an apocalyptic climax.

No comments:

Post a Comment