About Me

My photo
I write and live with my beautiful wife, Sandra, and sons (Solstice, Finnegan and Brahms) in a little-big house on a dirt road in a valley in the hills. My secret identity struggles through the grind of teaching high school English to the denizens of Vermont's Northeast Kingdom.

Friday, December 11, 2009

The darkness before the dawn

Well, it is the dark time. It's funny, some of my favorite people were born during this time. I hope lots of ideas will be germinated for me. Certainly, not a lot of writing has been done. Just as soon as school started, my boy got really arthritic again, then I got sick, then the holidays have hit, with all the gatherings and obligations. There is also the dark.

I don't know if it is chemical, or the natural cycle of the creative process. My thoughts have a harder time focusing in on any one idea during this time of year. In my experience the writing starts to throttle back up around February. That's why I have decided to put the writing aside until then, enjoy the family, read as much as I can, and not let the barrage of rejections alarm me.

I also still could edit. And I will, but after editing forty response to lit essays, it is difficult to dive into a eight hundred page editing job.

I have watched a great movie, entitled: World's Greatest Dad, it is starring Robin Williams, as a frustrated writer and teacher with a over-the-top frustrating teenager at home. Wow, did I love this one. I highly recommend it to anyone who has a twisted sense of humor and wants to enjoy a truly human experience in film.

I'm hoping everyone who happens to read this little blog, a happiest of holidays and a safe and productive new year.

Trav

No comments:

Post a Comment