About Me

My photo
I write and live with my beautiful wife, Sandra, and sons (Solstice, Finnegan and Brahms) in a little-big house on a dirt road in a valley in the hills. My secret identity struggles through the grind of teaching high school English to the denizens of Vermont's Northeast Kingdom.

Sunday, December 20, 2009

Christmas time!

Well, it is yule time, and we have certainly been busy. I did manage to finish the novel: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel, by Susanna Clarke. It was fantabulistic. Really not a quick read, but the novel becomes fantastically engrossing with its rich and complex characters and history. I recommend this to all fantasy fans. In fact, I've also been listening to her follow up anthology of short fiction: The Ladies of Grace Adieu. I think I have a new person for my list of favorite all-time authors. Well, I thought I would record some of my favorites so that if anyone needs something to read...

All-time favorite writers- these always entertain me:

1. Stephen King
2. Ray Bradbury
3. Dan Simmons
4. Douglas Adams
5. John Steinbeck
6. Sussana Clarke
7. J. R. R. Tolkein

These are some novels that had magic, that changed and transformed my thinking (but not by the authors above):

1. Watership Down
2. Lord of the Flies
3. The Man who was Thursday
4. Black Seas of Infinity: The Best of H.P. Lovecraft
5. 1984
6. Tigana
7. Frankenstein
8. I am Legend

Well, I'm sure there are more, but that will do for now. I just got a rejection that said that the editor reviewed my story a bunch of times, but, in the end, it was the last to be cut from the book. I don't know if I should be depressed or complimented.

Have a happy holiday, and spread love and cheer,

Trav

No comments:

Post a Comment