About Me

My photo
I write and live with my beautiful wife, Sandra, and sons (Solstice, Finnegan and Brahms) in a little-big house on a dirt road in a valley in the hills. My secret identity struggles through the grind of teaching high school English to the denizens of Vermont's Northeast Kingdom.

Saturday, October 30, 2010

Just finished reading Oh, the Horror!


Hey everybody, I will endeavor to write down some reviews of the books I've been reading in the future. I just finished reading the anthology: Oh, the Horror! by Static Movement. Chris Bartholomew is an inspiration of a publisher and editor as she gives lots of opportunities for people to edit their own anthologies and have their work published. The cover, I believe done by Jessy Marie Roberts is a fun one. And the stories begin and end on high points. "Fresh Meat" by Darren Gallagher is a fun flash piece that gets the reader ready for some of the disturbing elements of the anthology (a buffet of horror!). Also the final piece is a powerful one by Yolanda Sfetsos, "Sweeping Darkness".

I am reluctant to review a book that I have a story in. My story, "England, the Bad Dream" is in there. There are many stories that I thoroughly enjoyed.

I would like to mention some of the stories that really captured my imagination. I suppose that is the litmus test for personal taste. It may have been because of tone, or imagery, or for a certain alchemical mix with the reader's experience and taste, but I know what I like.

So these are just the stories that I personally liked the best that spoke to me as a reader and managed to give me a chill up my spine or a queasiness in the stomach:

1. "Bed Bugs Bite", by Yolanda Sfetsos. I wonderful gothic tale about a girl and the monster under her bed. Truly spooky and dark. I loved it! I look forward to reading many more stories by the talented Ms. Sfetsos.

2. "Here and There", by Gregory Miller. A great tale about an investigation into an abandoned farm house. This story has a wonderful pace and voice. In the author's note it mentions that Ray Bradbury liked his stuff. I'm not surprised. The quality reminded me much of the master. I know Mr. Miller will have a long and distinguished writing career. Hopefully, he will have a lot of dedication to his craft, because from one teacher and father, finding the time and energy is not the easiest of tasks...

3. "The Sick Little Puppy", by Lorraine Horrell. This story made me sick! Seriously, I don't know if I'll look at hot dogs the same way again. A great little story of revenge and the nature of evil. This story successfully navigates the gray waters between abuser and the vengeful in an over-the-top fashion. Thumbs up, Lorraine!

Again, there are many stories that I also enjoyed, the stories by Jim Bronyaur, Ken Goldman, and Joshua Brown also come to mind, but those three in particular spoke to me and made me particularly proud to be in the anthology.

Thanks for reading.
Trav

No comments:

Post a Comment